The right window frame can make all the difference in your home. Not only are they the foundation for your windows and a major consideration when it comes to interior design, but they also ensure that your home is properly insulated so you’re not unnecessarily wasting energy. But what do you need to know before you start selecting window frames for your window repair project? The guide below will walk you through some of the most important points so that you can make an educated buying decision when you finally start reaching out to contractors in your area.
What Are the Different Types of Window Frames?
Many homeowners don’t realize that there’s a vast range of window frames to choose from, giving you greater control over your experience and ensuring that you have the right frames to address the specific concerns that you have surrounding windows in the home. But with that being said, what are the different types of window frame materials that you can purchase? Your options include:
Every material offers its own unique set of benefits and disadvantages, so it’s important to carefully consider each before installing any one type in your home.
Your Needs: Considering Durability and Cost
Cost is often the driving factor that homeowners consider when they’re looking to repair their windows and install new window frames. That being said, the biggest mistake homeowners make is choosing an option that manages to fall within the low end of their budget to save money, only to choose something that’s not right for their needs and may need to be replaced much sooner.
Vinyl is an excellent choice for those on a budget and may hold up for quite a while. The problem? If you’re in an area where vinyl might warp relatively quickly, you could end up having to deal with window repairs in the near future once again. The last thing you want is to end up back at square one after replacing all of the windows in your home.
Some other options that are quite durable include aluminum, composite, and steel. When it comes to cost, vinyl is the most affordable. Think about both your budget and the durability of the material you want to choose before you make any formal commitment.
What Are The Benefits of Each?
The various types of window frame materials offer unique benefits for certain homeowners. Here’s a brief overview of the different types and what they’re good for.
- Wood: Wood is a gorgeous window frame material that is excellent at keeping the home well-insulated. Just keep in mind that it’s a bit more high maintenance than other options due to the potential for pests and wood rot.
- Composite: Composite offers the look of wood with greater durability to defend against common issues it faces, and it’s perfect for those living in humid or rainy areas.
- Vinyl: Vinyl is quite durable and requires little to no maintenance.
- Wood-clad: Wood-clad frames are another wood alternative for those who want something low maintenance and potentially longer-lasting than wood.
- Steel: Steel is a long-lasting material that’s excellent for defending against theft and fire.
- Fiberglass: Fiberglass dampens noise and is quite energy-efficient, with it being a good choice for those facing more extreme weather conditions.
- Aluminum: Aluminum is durable and offers homeowners greater customization options for larger windows.
Start Your Window Repair Project Now With RAM Exteriors
Are you ready to take what you’ve learned and repair your windows with confidence? Get started with RAM Exteriors! Whether you’re looking for window repair in Buckingham, PA, we’re here to help. Contact us today to learn more and request an appointment!